“Magic Mushrooms” are ILLEGAL by federal law in the United States. They are Schedule 1 Controlled Substances making them highly prohibited.
While federally ILLEGAL, decriminalization has taken place in some localities.
Please read the whole article, so you don’t get this wrong!
Places in the United States that have decriminalized “Magic Mushrooms”
- Denver, Colorado
- Santa Cruz, California
- Oakland, California
- Washington D.C.
- Washtenaw County, Michigan
- Somerville, Massachusetts
- Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Northampton, Massachusetts
What defines Magic Mushrooms?
The term “Magic Mushroom” refers to mushrooms that contain the hallucinogenic compound psilocybin. Consumption of Magic Mushrooms can lead to intoxication. This may result in mild to intense altered states of consciousness. Other common names include Shrooms, Psilocybe, Cubes, or simply Mushrooms.
How can Magic Mushrooms be ILLEGAL and LEGAL at the same time?
Different levels of government determine and enforce their own laws:
- Federal Law: Decided by congress, the president, and federal courts. Federal agencies enforce these laws. This includes;
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation
- The Department of Homeland Security
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- The National Park Service
- The Drug Enforcement Agency
- State Law: Decided by state legislators and enforced by state agencies. These agencies include;
- State Troopers
- State Rangers
- Highway Patrol, amongst others.
- City Law: Decided by local assembly or by citizen votes and enforced by the local police force.
Example: A National Park Service Ranger must make arrests for federally prohibited substances. This is true even in states where decriminalization has taken place.
Be Aware: Magic Mushrooms are NOT LEGAL in the United States
Some local governments have decriminalized Magic Mushrooms. This does NOT ensure protection against legal actions related to Magic Mushrooms.
Penalties related to these actions may be treated as felony offenses. These can result in penalties of over $1 million and 20 years in prison.